Who to tell

You’ve changed your name: what now?

You should start by contacting all of the people you do business with, and inform them of your new name. This is a legal necessity: you can’t “forget” to tell your credit card company in the hope that they’ll never find you, because they will and you’ll be guilty of fraud.

We have provided a check-list of places to start, you will want to contact the the top two on the list almost straight away; doing these early on will give you Photo ID in your new name which you can then use to prove your identity, and streamline the process of changing your name with the others

  • Passport Office: They’ll want an original Deed Poll (not a photocopy). Make several “originals” so you can get started with this earlier. You’ll need to pay for a renewal of your passport, and it’ll take time to issue a new one, but this will give you photographic ID with your new name, which can be used to accelerate the process of changing your name elsewhere.  If you want to change your Gender too, you will also need a letter from your doctor affirming your gender change, unfortunately all doctors will charge for this ‘service’.
  • DVLA: Getting your driving license changed gives you another form of photographic ID with your new name. Pick up a form D1 and fill it in, and send another “original” to them.  If you own a car, or a bike, have them update your Vehicle Registration Document at the same time.
  • Other photo ID: Got a Prove It! card or other widely-respected photographic ID? Get these changed too, as the sooner you do this, the easier everything else is.
  • Your employer, school, college, or university.
  • Banks, building societies, credit cards, and mortgage providers.
  • Insurance, and Assurance, companies; life assurance, vehicle insurance and house insurance.
  • Finance and loan companies.
  • Utility companies (gas, water, sewerage, electricity, telephone, mobile telephone, Internet, etc.).
  • Inland Revenue (ensure that they update your National Insurance records, too).
  • Doctor & dentist. They will update your NHS record on your behalf.
  • Professional bodies, memberships, clubs and societies.
  • TV Licensing.
  • HM Land Registry (if you own land or property).
  • Local authority (for council tax payment, electoral roll, etc.).
  • Investment companies, premium bonds, pension funds, etc.
  • Store cards and reward schemes.
  • Magazine subscriptions.
  • Online accounts and social networking profiles, if appropriate.
  • Police (if you have outstanding criminal convictions or are on the Sex Offenders’ Register).

Don’t forget to practice your new signature!